First things first: Em is starting to adjust to the idea of being on his tummy, and can now (when he feels like it at least!) hold his head up! Behold...
On your mark...
Get set...
Go!
Mission accomplished!
Why hello there little bud!
Today we went to the Museum of London, which is, as you may have cleverly deduced, about London from pre-Roman times to the present day. I did some extra work yesterday so that I could justify taking the afternoon off today, since things like museums tend to be much busier on the weekends so it's nice to go during the week while it's quieter. Anyway, we enjoyed the museum alot. Trav said it was probably his favorite of the ones we have been to so far. They had alot of interactive displays rather than just having everything behind glass and labeled with tiny numbers...for instance they had videos, touchscreen panels you could interact with, replicas of different artefacts for people to handle and try out, headphones set up to listen to things, etc.
This is Travis trying out a replica of Roman weights.
Me, standing beside a stone shield from I think the 1300s--it shows the Royal Arms (I assume like, the standard of the King or something, though I don't exactly know). Anyway, you can see both fleurs-de-lis and the three lions of England because the king at the time (Edward III) claimed the thrones of both France and England.
Three hilaaaaarious drinking mugs from, hmm, about 1500 I think? Look at the little faces! and the little hands! I loved these.
A child's knitted shirt and mitt (!!) from about 1500.
On our way home: riding up on of the escalators on the tube! You can also see in this one the snazzy new carseat bag we got for Em. It is lined and super warm. I am a bit jealous of him now when we go out and he gets to lay there all cozy in his bag, relaxing. :)

Like this.
The museum was really close to St. Paul's Cathedral. This is walking back to the tube station.
St. Paul's! You can climb up inside it right up to just about the top of the dome. Which I will DEFINITELY BE DOING at some point (some of you may remember that I really, really love climbing historical monuments, haha).

St. Paul's is in particular quite famous for surviving the Blitz (against all odds--alot of the area right around it was hit very hard during the bombings). There is a really famous picture taken in I think December of 1940, on one of the worst nights of bombing that the city experienced, of the dome rising out of the smoke from the fires. Some of you may have seen it. It became a really iconic picture of the Blitz.
Found it. Here it is.

I'll try to write more often--sorry guys. xx Becky
I love the picture of him chilling in his carseat bag, he looks very thug-like and superior:)Your posts are awesome, i cant beleive how big he's getting!I will email more later and love you lots, Heidi.
ReplyDelete