Thursday, October 7, 2010


Here I sit to write a post but I can't think what's really new this week. That means it's been a good week, though, I guess, since there are no new infections or illnesses to report. :) Emrys is eating like a horse these days. I think he must be getting into another growth spurt. I realized today that in a week and a half he will be four months! He seems to be getting better head/neck control these days. He HATES tummy time, though. In the interests of transparency, I should admit that we have been rather shamefully neglectful of this particular Parental Duty. It's not that we've purposefully never put him on his tummy...mostly we never got in the habit, I suppose, and now it never really occurs to us to do so. When we DO remember, though, he positively loathes it and refuses to be convinced that it is in any way whatsoever a Fun or Exciting Activity. Instead of holding himself up on his elbows or lifting his head to look around (as the child development books helpfully suggest he will do), he lays there with his face planted obstinately in the blanket and refuses to even turn his neck sideways. This generally continues until a) I panic that he is not getting enough air, and turn his neck for him, or b) he becomes enraged and starts screaming, at which point I meekly pick him up and apologize for attempting it in the first place. SO. Tummy time, folks, is not our forte.

Random picture of me and baby.


One thing he DOES seem to like a little better, though, is his jolly jumper! You will recall that a mere week or so ago his neck control was clearly not up to jolly jumper requirements. I put him in it again today, though, and he did MUCH better. He didn't really seem to get the whole "jump" part of the equation, but I assume that will come. For now, he just sort of hung there. But! This is progress. So we will take it, for now.

In his jolly jumper, giving you The Eye.



Look at his neck! Much better.

Doesn't he look old in this one!? I stood him up by the chair and he was totally taking his own weight on his legs--I just have my hands there in case his knees buckled (as they are prone to do).
Things continue to roll along, otherwise. Some of you will know the dramatic tale of how we once upon a time bought a timeshare (= were suckered into it and have basically rued this decision ever since, ahahaha). However it seems that we may at long last get at least some good out of it, as there are quite a few timeshares over here in Europe, and we are in the position now to be able to get to them fairly cheaply. We are looking into using one of our weeks to stay in a resort in Portugal in December. It wouldn't be hot enough to actually use the beach or anything, but it would be warmer than it will be in England at the time, and it would be fun just to get away and relax for a week. So we'll see if that works out.

Everything else I can think of to write about seems frightfully boring (for instance: I have signed up for a German class; we went to buy a bedsheet today, because Emrys peed through his diaper onto our (one) sheet; I bought a wok). Oh, we may have found a babysitter, which is very exciting to us (though no doubt less so to those of you back home). We are going to try her out this Wednesday evening. She is a postgrad student who lives in the same residence as us and put up a poster advertising babysitting services. I haven't met her in person yet but I am hopeful she will work out as it would be very nice to have the option of a baby-free evening once in awhile. :)

I will leave you for today with what is surely the most hilarious picture yet. (Johnny: I think this is his face upon realizing that he is, in fact, in England. Hahaha.)


p.s. Will try to take more pictures. It would help if I ever remembered to bring my camera anywhere. (Mom, I am becoming you...)

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha Beck-give him a hat & a cigar and boom instant Winston Churchill

    ReplyDelete