Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hey guys, sorry for the long absence! It's been another long week of sickness over here. Tuesday we went to the doctor because Emrys' ear had been draining (mostly clear) fluid since the Friday before. I spent most of that Friday trying to convince myself that it was just water that had got into his ear when I'd given him a bath Thursday evening. By the time I was ready to admit that the sheer amount of liquid coming out of his ear could surely not be explained by the Bath Water Theory (it took me awhile, folks, I really didn't want to admit he had an ear infection), it was the weekend, and the clinic is closed on the weekend. By Monday Trav and I were both too wretchedly ill to drag ourselves there, so Tuesday it was. (Let me hasten to say, to any panicking grandmothers/great-aunts in the audience, that if he had seemed to be in any pain over it we would have brought him in to emergency, but he seemed quite oblivious to the whole thing, so we figured he could wait a day until his parents could rouse themselves somewhat.)

Anyway. He did, in fact, have an ear infection (surprising exactly no one). Likely his ear drum ruptured, too, which would explain the discharge. We got some antibiotics though and he has been fit as a fiddle for a few days now. Travis and I on the other hand have been crawling through the week basically at death's door. We are both now medicated though so I'm hoping we'll be getting better soon.

On a happier note, pictures! All of baby. I won't apologize for this (since the name of the blog is, after all, rather suggestive of All Baby All The Time), but I would normally try for a little more variety. Honestly, though, this week has consisted pretty much of limping back and forth to the doctor's office (we are up to a grand total of five visits, I think, in the two weeks we have been here) and lying about feebly while trying to keep baby amused. Wah wah. I did do a couple of school things this week--on Wednesday I had sort of a department introduction day, where I met some of the faculty members besides my supervisor and also the other first-year grad students. I only talked to one of them so far but I think we might end up getting along really well. Fingers crossed. The other thing I did this week is go around to a couple of libraries and set up library cards and accounts and that sort of thing. No real studying has occurred yet, alas. (FENDS OFF PANIC WILDLY.) But I still have two weeks before my next meeting with my supervisor, so as long as I can get the ball rolling this next week I should be OK.

Alright, on to the pictures!

This one is from today. Fairly self-explanatory I think. He has become wholly indifferent to his baths, now. Which, granted, is far better than if he hated them, but still. It would be nice if he showed an inkling of emotion from time to time. Or, like, splashed, or something. Oh well, maybe that will come with age.
Mr. Em peeking out from behind Dad.
I love this one, it is so hilarious. He is trying to suck on his fist but doesn't realize that his soother is in the way. TOO FUNNY.
Emrys and Dad, chilling at the computer. He looks like a little bald old man here.
Me and baby ready to go to the doctor and get mom some penicillin. :) It's a horrid shot of me but is his outfit not the cutest!!
Just thinking things over...
Sleeping. He still looks like a tiny baby to me when he's sleeping. (When he's awake, not so much. But when he's asleep he reminds me of when he was a week or two old. Look at me, he is not even four months old yet and already I am succumbing to hysterical nostalgia. Heaven help us.)
Sitting in his bumbo! Still a little shaky but I let him do it for a little bit at a time sometimes.
Hi Grandma Barb!!
All for now. Again, I'm sorry for the long absence! Will try to do better. XO to all.

2 comments:

  1. Becky, truly you have the most delightful vocabulary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky it is so nice to hear from you guys again. Ihad taken my computer to get looked at last week, so I couldn"t check the last few days. I am at the library right now while Josiah is at karate. I am really glad to hear that you aRE ALL on the mend. That must have been very diffucult with all of you sick. I love reading your posts Becky. They make me smile.(and some days I have a hard time smiling!The pictures are so nice to see. I miss you guys and I miss seeing your little sweetheart. I just looked back over what I have written and I am noticing all the mistakes. Oh well I'm sure you can still understand it. The weather has been glorious this last week its been like 20 to 27 degrees almost every day. We had a frost a couple of weeks ago , and then when the weather warmed up , it was like the leaves on the trees turned colour overnight. You could see mostly shades of yellow, aith some reds. A couple of days ago, maybe three, it was a very windy day, and now the leaves are practically all gone. I really enjoy watching the leaves turn colour in the fall. Last Friday Sarah had to go back to work, and Olivia had been sick the day before, so I offered to look after her. We had alot of fun. In the afternoon I took her for a ride in the blue wagon thart I had bought when Josiah was little.I wasn"t sure if she could sit up okay in it, but she did fine. I pulled her around the yard for about a half hour, so I got my exercise too. Edwin is almost finished his combining. His brother Gerard came and drove his grain truck for him, so he could spend more time combining. That really helped. So I guess that"s about all the news for now. I love you all very much . xxoolove Mom

    ReplyDelete