Anyway. Clearly, this is the matter dominating my mind at the moment, BUT I will try to give a quick picture of the whole day. The flight over from Vancouver was kind of stressful, but that was probably inevitable given all the factors. Emrys had gotten sick the night before we left, as some of you know already--a pretty high fever and general listlessness and crying. But he was noticeably better during the layover in Vancouver and by yesterday/today (stupid time zones) his fever has been pretty much gone entirely. He's still congested but I'm hoping that will pass on its own. Anyway, the point is that he was very fussy on the way over--not screaming very much, just fitful and moving around all the time and fussing. I suspect it was partly being still sick and partly having sat around all day in Vancouver so not really being tired out at all. Anyways, it was a VERY long flight, punctuated by the afore-mentioned episode when he threw up a massive amount of gunk all over Travis. Wah wah.
Anyway. We got in about 10 am local time this morning (about 3 am back in SK) and got checked in to our place here by about 3. What else we've done today: got a wireless router, got the internet mostly working in the apartment, bought some groceries, and rode the tube with Emrys crying his eyes out (this last was awful and totally my fault for not bringing food along with us when we went out walking--I thought we'd only be gone a few minutes, we weren't, he got hungry).
Once we get our luggage tomorrow I will try to post some pictures of the place. It is actually not as small as I had expected. The furniture is pretty ugly and there is a weird amount of it (like, we really do not need two dressers plus two wardrobes, plus two beds in the same room (!)), but overall it is fine. It has two armchairs but no couch, which kind of sucks, but I don't know if it's worth it for us to buy a couch for the year that we will be here. Oh, and it's at the top of 77 steps. Can I tell you, I will be one fit lady by the end of this year. Every time I get to the top, I can feel the burn. RIDICULOUS.
OK, more tomorrow. Going to crawl into bed and attempt to generate heat, now.
p.s. Mom, do not worry about the baby, he is totally warm enough and sleeping like a rock at the moment. It is just your daughter who will freeze her patootie off. :)
That flight sounds hellish, Becky. I'm very glad you got there safely and hope that you soon have bedding, all your luggage, and functioning heat.
ReplyDeleteStill, the actual arrival part sounds very exciting. Post pictures, post pictures!
--Lauren
Oh, my! If it was me, I'd be EXTREMELY CRANKY!!! You seem to be handling it all very, very well! But I hope tomorrow is filled with clean, warm clothes and bedding and no crying. By any of you! :)
ReplyDeleteoh noes! be warm, becky. i assume it is better by now since i saw you bought blankets. hooray! let me just say, british heating SUCKS but should be ok ifs university-regulated! i hope. glad you made it safely!
ReplyDeleteit always takes so much more time to do the normal things when you are in a different country.
ReplyDeleteHoping you warm up soon and you can enjoy the novelties without stressing about the strangenesses.